William Cobbett Primary School recognises the important responsibility for Safeguarding and Promoting the Welfare of Children. The school's policy applies to the whole of the school's workforce, along with volunteers, governors and any contractors working on the school site. In particular Staff recruitment and selection - ensuring that all staff (volunteers etc.) have been appropriately checked for their suitability, using the Safe Recruitment procedures. In addition:
- Raising awareness of safeguarding issues and equipping children with the skills needed to keep them safe.
- Developing and implementing procedures for identifying and reporting cases, or suspected cases, of abuse.
- Supporting pupils who have been abused, in accordance with an agreed, child-centred plan.
- Establishing a safe and nurturing environment free from discrimination or bullying, where children can learn and develop happily.
We recognise that because of their day-to-day contact with children, school staff are ideally placed to observe the outward signs of abuse. Staff in schools will therefore:
- Report any inappropriate behaviour / activities to designated staff.
- Establish and maintain an environment where children feel secure, are encouraged to talk and are listened to.
- Ensure that children know that they can approach any adult in school if they are worried and they will receive a consistent, supportive response.
- Provide, within the PSHE curriculum, opportunities for children to develop the skills they need to recognise, and stay safe, from abuse.
Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL): Mrs Julie Campbell
Deputy DSLs: Miss Gillian Payne, Miss Tracy West and Mrs Sue Marsh
Safeguarding governor: Mrs Rebecca Thompson